For decades, D-subminiature connectors have been the interconnect of choice in many electronic systems. Over time, these connectors have evolved to meet changing requirements in a wide variety of applications.
In many applications, EMI/RFI shielded backshell offerings have not kept pace with requirements. These types of back shells tend to be large, bulky, and heavy. This is a problem in applications where weight reduction is a growing concern, such as the aerospace industry.
Many EMI/RFI hoods have a limited cable opening size. This creates a problem when high-density contact configurations are used. As an example, shell size 6 D-subminiature connectors offer 104 contacts. Backshells may not have a large enough cable opening to fully support the number of conductors that must be brought into the back shell. This is especially true when the cable includes twisted, shielded pairs that must be terminated inside the backshell. The industry needed an improved EMI/RFI backshell.
To meet these challenges, Positronic Industries developed a new generation back shell for D- subminiature connectors. The “A” series back shell combines a number of features that meet the needs of many of today’s most challenging requirements for EMI/RFI protection for cable connectors.
“A” Series back shell features include:
• Lightweight aluminum material with a zinc content of less then 1%, an important factor in applications restricting the use of zinc. Wall thickness provides a robust product while maintaining the goal of a lightweight back shell.
• A larger aperture and strain relief which is appropriate for high density wire bundles using twisted, shielded pairs. Cable clamps can be “spooned” to provide strain relief for smaller wire bundles. Wide form factor allows the user to easily meet bend radius requirements.
• Up to six grounding points (depending on the size of the backshell), which are sized and shaped for use with 0.250 inch diameter ring terminals. Multiple ring terminals can be stacked under each grounding screw. Ground screw holes are pre-tapped for ease of installation. Ground screw holes are tapped through the body of the backshell, providing internal or external grounding options.
• Spacious interior is shaped to facilitate wire routing inside the backshell. There are no internal obstructions toward the rear of the backshell which might prohibit wire routing or limit connector options.
• The backshell offers a thumb grip to facilitate installation and removal in tight spaces.
• Back shells are offered with jackscrews as well as a quick disconnect locking systems. Options allow locking for backshell to board, backshell to panel and back shell to back shell.
• Lightweight back shells are available with various performance levels including options for use in space flight applications.
For more detailed information about Positronic’s line of lightweight aluminum cable adapters, visit www.connectpositronic.com/product_list/family/6[…] or you may download a PDF file at www.connectpositronic.com/pdf_view/179 . Positronic also offers lightweight aluminum cable adapters for space flight applications. The PDF file for the space flight applications can be downloaded at www.connectpositronic.com/pdf_view/269/.
Explore information on Positronic’s full connector line by visiting our web site at www.connectpositronic.com. To locate the nearest Positronic sales office, visit www.connectpositronic.com/contact/Sales_Offices.