Revision of Existing Standard
This standard has been revised; hence it has been put forth for approval of the revisions.
DRAFT/VITA 48.8-2022x: Mechanical Standard for Electronic VPX Plug-in Modules Using Air Flow Through Cooling Standard
Abstract: This document describes an open standard for the design requirements for an air-flow-through cooled plug-in module having 3U and 6U form factors while retaining the VITA 46.0 connector layout. Unlike using cooling air impinged directly upon the components and circuit boards, this plug-in module uses a finned heat exchanger frame located within the central section of the assembly to top cool primary circuit board components as well as mezzanine board components. Both 3U and 6U standard form factors are offered using 3 defined pitch spacings, with options to have alternate air flow intake and exhaust paths. The plug-in modules of this standard exhibit a weight reduction and cost savings by eliminating both wedge retainer usage and module lever usage by way of using light weight jack screws for plug-in module insertion and extraction into a subrack chassis. The intention of this standard is to optimize SWAP-C (Size, Weight, Power, Cost).
This revision of the standard updates the plug-in module in the following areas: tab dimensions, thickness, jackscrew, and additional screw. Also, the option for insertion/extraction levers has been removed.
How to Apply for the Consensus Body
Currently, this consensus body needs voting members from the following interest categories in order to be able to proceed with this process. The consensus body will be vetted to ensure it meets balance, lack of dominance and openness rules. Following which a formal ballot will be sent to the consensus body for voting.
- Producer: An appropriate participant designs, develops, or manufactures products using this standard.
- User-Industrial/Commercial: An appropriate participant is using this standard in an industrial or commercial application
- User-Government/Military: An appropriate participant is a representative of a government agency using this standard in a government or military application.
- Research: An appropriate participant is involved in research or consulting that may use this standard.
- General Interest: An appropriate participant is an interested party not necessarily involved in producing, directly using, or acquiring product using this standard.
In the case that you believe this standard needs a revision, please indicate so in the comments field of the registration form and be prepared to sponsor and actively participate in the revision effort. If you are selected for the consensus body, you may provide minor editorial comments during the balloting.
Please register ONLY IF you intend to vote.
The VITA policies and ANSI Function can be found on our governance page at http://www.vita.com/Governance.